Search SHS

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Brave: For "T"

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the word "brave". What does bravery mean? How do we define it? How do we see it in others? And how do we characterize individual acts of bravery?

I don't want to get too deep. After all, this is a blog, not a confessional. But for me, part of bravery has derived from making peace with myself, embracing the way I look, and then being a bit more public about it. Part of the beauty of blogging is seeing how bold others are, and letting it inspire you to do the same!
I bought this American Apparel jumpsuit about 3 months ago with Tanya's gorgeous sister Lisa. We were working on a two day video shoot together and after work, we went a'thrifting and I came across this sheer number. Lisa is brave, and she would've worn this baby weeks ago!
I however, am less so. Don't get me wrong. I love my fashion. I love this jumpsuit. But I was feeling less bold than my petite counterpart. So it sat in my closet all summer waiting to see the light of day.
Today, I decided it was light enough. And out it came for a trial run in the sun. Now I'm brave, but I'm not crazy. It, (and I) still needed a little coverage...;)
So I threw on, (and off) this white, linen blazer I just nabbed at the Sunday, dollar sale. Crisp white just felt so apropos.
I added gladiator heels and a bunch of gold and turquoise jewelry.
Plus a rad, vintage, leather belt that kinda makes me look like Wonder Woman.
So there you have it. A moment of bravery, and then it's back on with the linen jacket so I can go grab a cup of joe and feel just a little bolder, a little braver, and a little proud to be me. I hope you all do the same.

(Dedicated to my fabulous styling guru Tanya Dempsey, who never, ever has a problem being bold, brave, fashionable, and cutting edge. I do this one for you)!

Love, 

Noa B

Jacket: Vintage, (1$)
Bodysuit: American Apparel
Necklace with dragon: Ideeli
Earrings: Tiffany Kunz
Turqoise: Oahu
Chain: Vintage
Bracelets: F21
Shoes: Charles David
Belt: Vintage

2 comments:

  1. You *are* brave (and it looks great)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me cry. I'm a sap, but it's really touching and I love you so much! Thanks for thinking I'm brave, I think you're a rockstar. And a very hot one, at that! xx

    ReplyDelete