Search SHS

Monday, April 4, 2011

"Hot"-Lanta! What I saw...

On a recent excursion to the east coast, I decided to check out Atlanta's thrift and vintage scene.

While Decatur and Atlanta have a variety of great, inexpensive, "last chance" goodwill stores, (and I hit them up accordingly) today's featured finds unearthed themselves in a little neighborhood known as "Five Points".

Two rad stores I visited were Rag-O-Rama and Stefans's.
Rag-O-Rama is a buy/sell/trade kind of store. The warehouse sized operation provides fashion forward looks picked by discerning buyers on a daily, "come and swap your stuff" basis.
Conversely, the owners of the venerated Stefan's travel the country in search of true, vintage garments. Both were incredibly fun to browse. Rag's is an immense cafeteria of clothes, while Stefan's is intimate and elegant.
At Rag I grabbed my "usual" fave, the ever-present, little black dress. (I seem to find one on nearly every thrifting trip). I also pounced on a color block tank and some adorable blouses. 
The staff was charming and helpful, and I walked out with a variety of items in new colors for spring as well as a bundle of accessories, all yanked from the 50% off rack!
At Stefan's the experience was like walking into a mini costume house. There were a variety of wearable, and affordable garments, all in perfect condition, as well as a number of high end pieces stretching across rounders and wall displays. It was like being on set with a fabulous wardrobe department at my fingertips.
 Adorable, Marilyn-esque suits and blouses were stocked wall to wall...
 Items ripe for spring dotted the ceiling displays in crochets and cotton eyelets.
Color blocking was all over Stefan's!
 And there was still the requisite, red party dress in the window...
Complete with matching, red cavalier ensemble--for the man in your life!
 There was velvet and lurex, pill box hats in leopard fur, and satin as far as the eye could see...
 But I couldn't leave without purchasing something really outrageous--like this fabulous hat in honor of the late, Liz Taylor...






Atlanta, you won my heart.

Love, 
Noa B

No comments:

Post a Comment